Tuesday, May 19, 2009

PACKING UP

This lovely summer, starting this weekend, I am going to experience being the Arts and Crafts Director at Lutheran Camp Chrysalis. Well, I do have staff training first, so no campers to start off with. Camp has been in my heart since I was little and sadly enough, I haven't been back since Confirmation Camp in 8th grade. Now that I'm a part of what goes in to the structure of the camper's experience, I have no idea what to expect. I feel like I'm doing things wrong and I haven't even gotten started. And something that I've been worrying about is the most silliest thing to worry about, the cut of my swim suit! I'll be kind of sad if I end up having to wear a shirt over my swimsuit as well as the shorts I know I'll already have to wear. I should just stop worrying about and except whatever happens...It's not easy finding a swimsuit that works for you and for the expectations that don't seem super clear in the first place. Tankini- Check!
Wanna know something I'm super excited about? Well, Wade (above left) and Kim (about right) are going to be working at camp as well! They go to my church and are really good friends. But that's not all. Paul and Katherine will be there too along with people from school I am friends with or have seen around. I'll totally be up for making new friends I'm sure, and it should be quite easy with all the relationships already started among my friends. Oh, even my roommate from last year has taken a job there! Crazy, I know!
Lutherans unite! Hahaha!
I've totally been playing out different ways to greet campers that walk into the art room...and I just thought of a new one. I could hide behind something and once they are all sitting down I'll pop a party popper and woo hoo....I bet party poppers aren't allowed. I won't test that theory then. Ooh! Camera! I can't forget that!
I'm being lazy though...and not wanting to pack my things. I did start doing that this morning though...as in, my bed rolls crammed into the suitcase and the sleeping back is right next to it (and yes, I did try to cram that in there as well, it could work, but I wont stress it).
Ugh! I really want some new music! I'm tired of my CD collection. Yes I do have The Killers and Keane to jam too (which are my newest Cd's), but I'm thinking some MGMT would really kick me out of this uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh stage. Matt's music on my computer helps too though.
Geez! I can't wait to be at camp, I can, but I can't. I'm too nervous to really think about going, that's a lie though. I can't wait for: hiking the bluff, hanging around the pool, making kids laugh, making other staff laugh, doing arts and crafts, getting even closer to God (it seems that I lose full touch with God and I need help to really get back in the full swing of things), eating camp food, gaining some real muscle, getting hot, dancing in the rain, sleeping in a cabin, getting bit by ants and mosquito's, spraying myself with large amounts of Off and smothering myself in SPF 30, skipping my vitamins that I rarely take anyways, not wearing makeup, not shaving my legs ( I don't do that much anyways), remembering to put on deodorant (it's a tough job), and camp fires, and helping out in any way I feel comfortable. Oh! And I can't forget singing!
I'll probably keep my nails yellow all summer. I like it. Recognizable but blendable.
Mail me something this Summer!
Emily Hohertz
Camp Chrysalis
391 Upper Turtle Creek Rd
Kerrville, TX 78028
I'd rather get hand-written mail but if you must email use:
My whole name in the subject line sent to the address- chrysaliscamper@crosstrails.org

No comments:

Post a Comment