Saturday, June 21, 2008

WORK CAMP'S SO CLOSE!

Oh my, Oh my!!! I couldn't be anymore excited for Work Camp. This is my fourth year going and each year is better than the last so who knows how awesome this one will be!
I've been working lately. Yup, working. And guess what I've been doing...PAINTING! And guess what I could be doing for the Work Camp project?...PAINTING! No, I'm not okay with this, but if it happens it happens...boooo i know!
So, Matt and Heather had their engagement pictures taken while he was here. Tim, I think it was, was awesome! I tagged along so I got to be their corky entertainment. He even got some pictures in front of the graffiti art, that is professionally done i mind you, down off of South Congress. That's my new favorite street in town! Awesome shops, awesome food, and that graffiti BTW is redone like ever so often...I don't remember when though...I'm sure it's not every month but it's some kind of time frame. Awesome! I know!!! Tim (if that really is his name) treated us to that pizzeria: Home Slice...it is so delicious!
Alright...if I must, I'll tell y'all more about how awesome Work Camp is!!!
We have driven over the years to the place it's located and so we will again for the trip to Hobbs, New Mexico...The first year was an Indian reservation in Utah, the next was in Cow Island, Louisiana...and the next was in Neodesha, Kansas...no we don't go too far but we are normally the only ones from Texas which is pretty cool, but we act it all out and do silly line dances with the well known electric slide to every EVERY country song it goes well with...we cant help it. Really.
When we get to the place of work campin' we unpack into class rooms...the boys are roomed with boys in different church groups as the girls are roomed with girls in different church groups...the first and third years were pretty cramped for the girls...the second year there weren't that many people at the camp so there were even cots provided...roaches too :P
Later we go to the first camp meeting type thing where we sing and get to know people...then...get to meet our CREWS!
The CREWS consist of people you've never met before (on the rare occasion two crews working together...anything could happen) different denominations, different accents! Last year my crew kept mentioning that I didn't have a Texan Twang...I just ended up picking up Annie's Minnesota one! I tell ya! It's an easy one to pick up, but a hard one to get rid of!
Then for the rest of the week you "wakey wakey work campers" early in the morn, eat breakfast, meet your crew at the van and go to the given work sight. We have a lunch break and a crew devotion (I was the leader last year). Then we finish the days work and head back to camp. Freeeee time! Supper...Camp devotion...I've forgotten the order but yeah...then we end with some Congregational devotion time and then rest of the night is ours till lights out at 12.
Wednesdays are half workdays where you get off the work sight early to bond with your youth group out on the town (populated or not)...and Thursday nights always make you cry because you go to different stations which represent a part of you ... last year I cried the most! but that was cut short by poor Wade hurting his ankle and my comforter Dolly needing to save him...I went along.
Silly Wade got a guy in my crew to get a mohawk...Wade got one as well as you could imagine. What a goofball :D
Remember! No citrus! LOL, last year (and she's going again! woo hooo!!!!!!) poor Andie got attacked by the peoples love of oranges! She's sadly allergic to them and I was always glad to go sit somewhere else with her if someone was eating an orange. I have her back!
Oh, and every year we write care cards...talk about God Sightings...and some of the crews get some really involved residents...
I'm the best at writing care cards! I need to buy some awesome supplies! These are just little notes that you write to people at the camp throughout the week...and then when we leave, we get to finally read them all!
I normally make up my God Sightings...or search for them...but the important ones come on their own...I just cant handle everyone else having super cool ones! O well, but hey! if I end up not getting a painting job...THAT'LL TOTALLY BE MY GOD SIGHTING!!!
My residents were never really involved (darn word always reminds me of our year book LOL)...the first year we may have saw her once but she didn't speak English and she didn't live in the mobile home we were making the deck, ramp and stairs for b/c...there were no stairs! the second year the lady was so devastated she didn't want to see it until it was done, but our crew got moved to another sight so we never got to meet her :( but last year Lauren let us in his house and told us about his family and stuff...but he didn't join us with crew devotions...but that's okay...I liked getting to know him a bit! We went back every day to visit since we finished early on the second day with his front porch.
I plan to be even more outgoing this year!!! I pray my crew can handle my craziness! They'll still get lovely care cards if they cant. I'm so ready...I just need more toothpaste and deodorant...and I want to make some cool new shirts! One has to say: Get Prehistoric!...I'll definitely have a super sweet dinosaur on it!
Alright...enough! I'LL TELL Y'ALL ALL ABOUT IT!
I leave on June 27th and get back July 5th...don't miss me too much, chances are, I wont be missing you (I'll be having way too much fun!).
Just kidding! I'll miss y'all a little ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment